Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Other Things in Other Rooms



Rooms are products of the people who live in them. And based off the entire concept of this blog, I clearly believe you can learn a lot about a person from their room. The things people choose to surround themselves with mean something, at least to the people who own them. Pictures can represent important memories while posters may symbolize ideals and beliefs.

I think I wanted this video to show that each person has bits of themselves spread throughout their room, placed in items, books, stuffed animals, whatever it may be. Three of my good friends let me document where they live, two of which rent quirky-old houses, and one who shares her space in a dorm. Each have uniquely different items that, while ordinary to most, say a lot about their lives and who they are.

After watching this video, take a look around and ask yourself, what does your room say about you?

8 comments:

  1. I think I'm in love with your camera and your skills. The music was great-it really set the mood and showed a great transition between the people. The opening shots were great-how artistic! It was like I was watching a short film.

    The music transition when the male was speaking made it a little hard to hear him, but I was still so captivated!

    Also, the slow-motion shots at the end were awesome. It was a great transition into the end. And the voice overs! And I love how you ended the video like how you started it.

    I would have loved to hear your voice and have your presence in the video, but this was still such a beautiful video. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your feedback :) I definitely debated whether or not to add in my own voice and dialogue. But ultimately I feel like it was my friend's stories to tell, through their words.

    Making this video was definitely a learning process, but I had such a great time. I'm so happy you liked it, and I can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I completely understand now! I was editing my video and the footage (video and voice-overs) that I had of myself scared me so bad I couldn't put it in my video. I think you made a great choice and your video was definitely an inspiration as I developed mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This video was sooo much fun to watch, and so interesting. I love how it was filmed, and how you captured each scene. While I was watching this,I could have sworn it was professionally done.

    You captured each person and their room so well, i feel like I know so much about them already. I think you were right when you said "Rooms are products of the people who live in them"; now that I look around my room, i definitely see how it reflects me.

    I love reading your blog! Keep it up! Such great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah, this video is fabulous. Good job, you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ummm this is amazing...

    -Kassi

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful Hannah.

    Watching this I thought of something you might be interested in. It's a photography set by Portland-based photographer Olivia Bolles on bedrooms. The description of the set is "seeing the continuation of a person onto their walls".
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/-oliviabee-/sets/72157620341246094/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much everyone :) And Nadia, I LOVED those photos. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete